back to basics

never underestimate the power of basics!!  no matter the trends or the time of year, closet staples will keep you forever chic from season to season.  let's break it down to the must haves; numero uno: Denim - every woman should own a great fitting pair of jeans!  this is an area where it pays off to splurge!!  i love a great deal, but all denim were not created equal, so i seriously suggest investing in a designer pair in your favorite fit.  these skinnies have been in my closet for over 5 years now and have even managed to fit me through 3 pregnancies!!  (fun fact: if u loop a hair tie through your button hole you can elongate the life of your pre-pregnancy pants)  #2: The Basic Tee - there is no such thing as too many white t-shirts!  I literally have a chest of drawers dedicated just to tees, from band to basic, you can just never have enough, but white reigns supreme.  a little oxi-clean can definitely keep you looking crisp, but white doesn't last forever and dingy isn't cute, so I suggest refreshing your collection at least once a year.  #3:  Camel Coat:  there are plenty of jacket styles that last the test of time (ie: tuxedo, blazer, leather) but nothing says classic like the camel coat.  the trick is to keep it simple!  no need for embellishments or fancy fits, the longline coat has been around for decades and its still the chicest style on the block.  #4:  Statement Tote:  you're a woman on the go, so chances are you have a lot of crap that you have to tote around on a daily basis.  save yourself the trouble and invest in a large tote that fits it all without lacking in style.  neutrals are great, but I love a bright color for my everyday bag and this poppy red is pretty much perfection.  I can fit diapers, wipes, bottles, a laptop, the kitchen sink . . . you name it, I probably have it in my bag.  most importantly, I keep an envelope clutch tucked inside so I can easily swap out should a child-free opportunity arise.  #5:  The Perfect Pump:  ok, so these aren't exactly your basic pointy toe pump, but I've never been a very basic girl when it comes to my heels.  the point is, every closet needs a killer pair of black pumps!  and lastly, Accessories:  these are the whip cream on top.  without a little bling, no outfit is truly complete.  statement pieces are great, but they tend to turn over with the trends.  I prefer layered on dainty pieces for my every day.  I do have quite a collection of tiny trinkets that I switch up regularly, but my staples are gold rimmed aviators and my oversized men's watch. simple studs and a chain link bracelet are always a great addition to any collection and simple rings show off your polished paws. Of course, its always fun to add a surprise element to any look, and even though an umbrella isn't necessarily part of an outfit, they are definitely an accessory that comes in handy, so why not keep a cute one close by? Vinrella (yes, its a wine bottle shaped umbrella) offers a plethora of prints that fit perfectly in your purse and have you looking chic while staying dry! So next time you hit the mall and don't have a clue what to buy, stick to the basics! Classic styles are just that, CLASSIC!!
"some people feel the rain, others just get wet"

ALL IMAGES MARIE RODRIGUEZ
duster Forever 21 // tee c/o Synergy Style // skinnies J Brand // heels GoJane // bag Aldo //
sunnies Ray-Ban // "love" necklace c/o Towne & Reese // ampersand c/o Carrie Grace Shop //
double stud Synergy Style // watch Michael Kors // chain link c/o Towne & Reese //
rings Forever 21 // umbrella Vinrella c/o Its Retail Therapy

No comments :

Post a Comment